10 FIRECRACKER-RELATED INCIDENTS RECORDED IN ANTIQUE
SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique -- A total of 10 firecracker-related incidents during the New Year revelry were reported in the province of Antique, with six cases involving minors.
Irene Dulduco, Integrated Provincial Health Office information officer, said in an interview Friday that they received report of a six-year-old boy from the town of Hamtic injured by a Triangulo last Thursday afternoon and a 10-year-old boy from San Jose de Buenavista, who suffered injuries on his forehead, palm and left eyebrow due to a candle bomb.
Dulduco said that it was only last Thursday that the district hospitals in the province were able to access the Online National Electronic Injury Surveillance System of the Department of Health, that is why they were unable to immediately report the New Year injuries related to firecrackers.
“Anyway, our reporting of cases will still be until Saturday,” she said.
“Of the 10 cases, eight were minor injuries from blast burns with the victims treated as outpatients,” Dulduco said.
She said that the two other cases were admitted at the Angel Salazar Hospital during the New Year.
“The one admitted is an 11-year-old boy from Hamtic town injured by a lighted Kamara at 10 o’clock in the morning of January 1,” Dulduco said.
She said the boy has been referred to the Western Visayas Medical Center upon the request of his parents due to the need to amputate three fingers on his left hand.
Meanwhile, the youngest victim of the firecracker related incident is a six-year-old boy from Hamtic town while the oldest is a 50-year-old man.
Dulduco said 10 cases of firecracker-related incidents were also reported last year. (PNA)
Photo from Philstar