• 02/24/2019
  • 06:39 AM
League Online News
Image

3 HURT DUE TO FIRECRACKERS IN REGION 12



COTABATO CITY -- Three persons were victims of firecracker-related injuries in Region 12 despite massive calls by the Department of Health (DOH) for the public to avoid the use of “bangers” during revelries.

Jenny Panizales Ventura, DOH-12 “Iwas Paputok” program coordinator, said the three victims sustained injuries during the Dec. 21 to Dec. 24 monitoring period in Sultan Kudarat and South Cotabato provinces.

“Despite this, however, this year’s Christmas injury cases is way very low compared to the same period last year,” Ventura said over a local radio station interview on Wednesday.

Ventura said all the victims were males aged between 11 and 45 years old. Two of them were from Sultan Kudarat and one in South Cotabato.

The 11-year old boy in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat, sustained minor burns as a result of playing “watusi,” a dangerous firecracker.

Meanwhile, the men from Surallah, South Cotabato sustained finger injuries due to firecracker explosion.

Ventura said all cases happened at home. She added that there were no reported deaths and stray bullet incidents during the Christmas Eve revelry.

“We continue to appeal for the parents to closely monitor their children during the revelry, so they will not fall prey to firecracker-related injuries in the coming New Year’s Eve revelry,” Ventura said.

Last year, there were 43 fireworks-related injuries and no deaths and victims of stray bullets. (PNA)

Photo by Val Rodriguez/Philstar

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila