AFP: MORE TROOPS DEPLOYED TO SAMAR
MANILA — More troops have been deployed to Samar to quell “lawless violence” in the province, a military spokesperson said Thursday.
Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo said two infantry battalions have been sent to Samar, shortly after an assessment confirmed that there is a need to put additional troops there.
“Nagkaroon na tayo ng ginagawang assessment and then nakita natin that there’s really a need for us to reinforce our units there kaya pinadala natin ang dalawang battalions na ito (We conducted an assessment and found out there’s really a need for us to reinforce our units so deployed these two battalions,” he said.
Last week, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea issued Memorandum Order No. 32 amid “sporadic acts of violence allegedly committed by lawless groups particularly in the provinces of Samar, Negros Oriental and Occidental, and Bicol Region”.
The memorandum called for the immediate deployment of additional military and police forces in those provinces.
He added that the number of military personnel or units to be deployed in Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, and Bicol Region are still being reviewed. (PNA)