ARMY OFFICIAL: COMMUNIST REBELLION ‘STRAGGLE’, NOT STRUGGLE
MALAYBALAY CITY — An Army official of the Army’s 4th Infantry Division (4ID) has dismissed spectacle surrounding the December 26 50th founding anniversary of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) as more of a “straggle” rather than being a struggle.
Col. Edgardo de Leon, commander of the 4ID’s 403rd Infantry Brigade stationed here, said that the CPP–together with its political arm, the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDF), and its armed wing, the New People’s Army (NPA) — has been deceiving the public with “hatred and violence” through propaganda.
De Leon also called out CPP founder Jose Maria Sison for having failed in his “three-stage struggle” in the last five decades.
“Hey Joma, how many more years do you need to at least move to the next sub-stage? Limampung taon na kayong nasa (50 years you’ve been in) Grade 1,” he said.
The Army official was referring to the past writings of Sison, in which the communist leader laid the rebellion’s three-stage action plan to overthrow the government.
“Did you not realize that your 50 long years of straggling is enough proof that the foreign ideology of Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, and Mao Zedong are not acceptable to the Filipinos?” de Leon said.
De Leon also called on the remaining followers of Sison and the CPP-NPA-NDF to “wake up and be realistic.”
He said: “Don’t allow yourselves to become stragglers under the selfish dictates of Joma Sison. Hwag kayong magpagamit sa mga Komunista sa pagpapakalat ng galit at karahasan sa ating bayan (Don’t let yourselves be used by the communists to spread hate and violence).
Meanwhile, Tawi-Tawi Rep. Ruby Sahali along with 71 other lawmakers has filed House Resolution (HR) 2339 that calls for the resumption of the peace talks between the government and the communist rebel movement.
HR 2339 seeks to complete the comprehensive agreements on social, economic, and political reforms that have been put on the backburner following the termination of peace talks last year.
“It is highly imperative that Congress hears and echoes the Filipino people’s desire for the resumption of the peace negotiations for the GRP and NDFP to forge substantive agreements that will resolve the root causes of the nearly five-decade-old armed conflict, to pave the way for a just and lasting peace,” HR 2339 reads.
The lawmakers cited media reports that the Philippine Ecumenical Peace Platform (PEPP) has “called on both the GRP and the NDFP to stay the course and pursue the positive results generated from the peace talks that formally started under the Duterte administration in August 2016.”
PEPP described HR 2339 as “a piece of good news for peace advocates after recent events that have threatened to further derail the peace negotiations.”
President Rodrigo Duterte terminated the peace talks in November last year following a series of attacks against government forces and installations by the NPA.
By launching attacks and committing atrocities while the talks were ongoing, the President said that the communist rebel movement failed to reciprocate the government’s effort in pursuing genuine and meaningful negotiations.