DENGUE UPDATES. Officials from Capiz Provincial Health office provide dengue updates to Capiz Governor Esteban Evan Contreras. The province of Capiz and Guimaras declared a dengue outbreak on Friday (July 12, 2019) following the surge of cases of the mosquito-borne disease. (Photo courtesy of Capiz Provincial Health Office)
ILOILO CITY -- The provinces of Capiz and Guimaras on Friday both declared a dengue outbreak.
Capiz Governor Esteban Evan Contreras has signed Executive Order (EO) 001, putting the entire province under dengue outbreak.
From January 1 to June 29, the Capiz Epidemiological Surveillance and Response Unit (CESRU) of the Provincial Health Office recorded a total of 2,177 dengue cases with 14 deaths, the EO noted.
The recent figure is 771 percent higher compared to the January 1 to June 29 data recorded in 2018, with only 250 cases, it added.
Contreras directed the “extension of free medical services and other essential assistance to dengue cases in all Capiz provincial and district hospitals.”
All local government units in Capiz are also enjoined to participate in simultaneous “Kontra Dengue Day” in all villages starting July 13 and the following Saturdays for eight weeks.
Meanwhile, in Guimaras, Governor Samuel Gumarin has signed EO 36 on Friday, which placed the province under a dengue outbreak.
The Provincial Health Office of Guimaras recorded 493 cases of dengue from January 1 to July 6, 2019, the EO said.
This is 1,046.5 percent higher than the 43 cases recorded in the same period last year.
Salvacion village in Nueva Valencia town and San Miguel village in Jordan town have recorded one dengue death each.
Gumarin, through the EO, directed the creation of the Dengue Crisis Management Task Force which will "plan and respond to emergencies in relation to the increase of dengue cases" and to report regular updates.
Meanwhile, Maasin in Iloilo province was placed under a state of calamity also on Friday due to the surge of dengue cases.
Francis Amboy, municipal mayor of Maasin, said 119 locals in Maasin have contracted the mosquito-borne disease from January 1 to July 6 this year.
This is 1, 600 percent increase compared to the seven dengue cases recorded in Maasin last year.
"Two deaths were also recorded in our town this year. We lost a 10-year-old boy and a nine-year-old girl, both pupils of Maasin Central Elementary School," Amboy said in an interview.
Suspected dengue patients are queuing up at Maasin Rural Health Unit.
Amboy assured that all the patients are well-accommodated.
The town has also re-launched its clean-up drive to get rid of the breeding places of mosquitoes.
Amboy said the 1.7 million calamity fund will be used to address the needs at the RHU like medicines and folding beds.
A PHP2,000 worth of financial assistance will also be distributed to Maasin residents confined in district hospitals. (PNA)