CDO COPS TO JAM MOBILE SIGNAL DURING BLACK NAZARENE PROCESSION
Feast of the Black Nazarene in Cagayan de City in 2018. (File photo by Ercel Maandig)
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — The Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (COCPO) said it will again employ signal jammers in the upcoming Black Nazarene procession to temporarily cut off mobile telecommunications.
Supt. Mardy Hortillosa, COCPO spokesperson, on Wednesday said temporary blocking the reception or transmission of cell phone signal remains the most effective method to prevent any bombing attempt by terrorist elements.
Last year’s Black Nazarene procession here attracted over 200,000 devotees, and police said the number is expected to grow this year.
Hortillosa said tight security will be implemented during the January 9 religious activity, along with the deployment of more police personnel on the streets.
Meanwhile, the chief of the Army’s 4th Infantry Division (4ID) said the military has already coordinated with the police to strengthen security during the procession.
Maj. Gen. Ronald Villanueva, 4ID commander, also assured the military’s intelligence units are on top of the situation.
In a related development, Mayor Oscar Moreno said the jamming of cell phone signal may last up to four hours.
“The measure is very vital for the security of the thousand devotees who will attend the procession,” Moreno said.