• 03/26/2019
  • 10:40 AM
League Online News
Image

CLEARING OPS TO BEGIN IN MANILA BAY ‘SOON’



The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is slated to commence dredging activities at the Manila Bay soon.

 

In a statement on Friday, Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar said the initiative will determine the volume of material which will be taken out from the bay.

 

Citing a report from DPWH-BOM Director Toribio Noel Ilao, Villar noted that dredging will be the major mechanism for the removal of the accumulated pollutants in Manila Bay.

 

“Our Bureau of Equipment has conducted bathymetric or depth measurement survey, water quality test, and ocular inspection at Manila Bay and Navotas River. The result of these surveys will be the basis of dredging activities in the coming weeks,” he said.

 

 

The bathymetric survey was conducted to estimate the amount of material to be removed and specify the areas that must be given focus during the clean-up.

 

The DPWH will prepare a deployment plan for equipment fleet composed of amphibious excavators, dumping scows, dump trucks, debris segregator, street sweepers, and vacuum sewer cleaner.

 

The equipment will be strategically deployed beginning the last week of February up to the first week of March.

 

The agency will also procure additional spider excavators and trash skimmer to aid in the bay’s rehabilitation efforts.

 

Navotas River, Estero de Vitas in Tondo, Manila; and the priority 100 meters from the shoreline of Manila Bay, spanning its approximately 1.5-kilometer portion from Manila Yacht Club breakwater to US Embassy, were identified as three dredging sites.

 

Water quality in the bay will be monitored on a regular basis to determine adjustments in achieving the targets of its massive rehabilitation, Villar added.

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila