• 02/21/2019
  • 11:38 PM
League Online News
Image

CRIMINAL RAPS FILED VS. ALBAY JOURNO’S KILLERS



MANILA -- The quest for justice in the killing of Albay radioman Joey Llana has finally gained ground after criminal charges were filed against his suspected killers, Communication Secretary Martin Andanar announced on Friday.

Andanar, also co-chair of the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS), said murder charges were filed on December 7 before the Office of the Provincial Prosecutor of Albay by the Daraga Municipal Police against a certain Erwin Talagtag and two other still unidentified suspects.

Talagtag is allegedly a member of the notorious Concepcion Criminal Group, which is involved in robbery hold-up, extortion, and gun-for-hire activities.

Based on a forensic report submitted by the Albay Police Provincial Office to the PTFoMS, the pieces of caliber .45 cartridge cases recovered from Llana's crime scene matched the pistol used in another shooting incident involving Talagtag.

Llana's sister Menchie Llana welcomed the new development, hoping the mastermind "will be unmasked soon."

"Our family was informed that a case for murder had been filed against three suspects in the killing of my brother. We welcome this development," she said.

Menchie said her family is grateful to PTFoMS officials, also led by co-chair Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra and Executive Director Joel Sy Egco, for their thorough investigation.

"The dedication and genuine care of the Task Force for media workers is highly commendable and sets the standard for exemplary public service," Menchie said.

"We look forward to more good news on the case and our family is committed to help in any way we can to ensure that justice will be served," she added.

In a statement posted on PTFoMS' Facebook page, Andanar said, "We join the optimism of the Llana family."

Andanar commended the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) Llana, particularly Senior Supt. Milo Pagtalunan, Task Force Llana head and Albay Police director, together with Supt. Benito Dipad, officer-in-charge of the Daraga Municipal Police.

He said both worked closely with the PTFoMS investigating team led by Egco for the continuous investigation and monitoring of the case and to ensure that the perpetrators of violence against members of the media will not go unpunished.

"This serves as a fair warning to all those who will continue with their nefarious activities in attempting to murder, harass or intimidate media workers. Your days are numbered," Andanar said. (PNA)

Photo from ABS-CBN News

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila