• 07/18/2019
  • 07:09 PM
League Online News
Image

DENGUE CLAIMS 9 LIVES IN MAGUINDANAO IN 1ST HALF OF 2019



COTABATO CITY -- At least nine persons in Maguindanao died from the mosquito-borne dengue virus in the last six months of the year, with the number of dengue patients increasing by some 60 percent compared to the same period last year, health officials said.

Dr. Tahir Sulaik, chief of the Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) – Maguindanao, said nine of the province’s 36 towns registered high number of dengue cases where most victims are students in schools.

“The (dengue) situation in the province is currently very alarming,” Sulaik said in an interview by reporters here Tuesday.

IPHO records show that a total of 669 dengue cases from January to June this year compared to 393 cases during the same period in 2018.

Sulaik said the town of Datu Odin Sinsuat listed the highest number of dengue cases at 128, followed by Sultan Mastura (77), Upi (73), Parang (67), Buluan (34), Talayan (24), Matanog (20), Shariff Aguak (17), and South Upi (15).

He added that three died from the disease in Sultan Mastura, Parang (2); and one each from the towns of Barira, Datu Odin Sinsuat, Datu Paglas, and South Upi during the period.

Sulaik said dengue awareness programs are still implemented across the province, even as he reminded the people to maintain cleanliness in their communities to get rid of the dengue-carrying mosquitoes.

“The 4 p.m. cleaning habit should be maintained by communities, including schools, as dengue is now everybody’s concern,” he said. 

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila.