• 07/17/2019
  • 12:34 PM
League Online News
Image

DILG TO SUE OSMEÑA OVER ‘CLEARING’ OF CEBU CITY MAYOR’S OFFICE



PROBE VS. EX-CEBU MAYOR. DILG spokesperson and Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya (center) said Secretary Eduardo M. Año has ordered the filing of charges against the former Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña in a press briefing at the DILG main office in Quezon City on Friday (July 5, 2019). Prior to stepping down from the post, Osmeña ordered the removal of all facilities and furniture at the Cebu City Mayor's Office. (PNA photo by Lloyd Caliwan)

MANILA -- The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will file cases against former Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña due to his order to remove all facilities and furniture in his office shortly before stepping down from his post.

DILG spokesperson and Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said Secretary Eduardo M. Año has ordered the filing of charges against the former local chief executive.

“The decision to file cases have been made already. We are still studying the specific cases because we have yet to receive a report from our regional director from Region 6. The Secretary said we will definitely file cases but let's just find out the facts first to determine what cases are to be filed,” Malaya told reporters in a press briefing on Friday.

Malaya said the Cebu City government already informed them that it already identified cases to be filed and the people who will face charges.

The DILG official also expressed disappointment over Osmeña's ungracious move.

"This is just so unfortunate. I cannot even determine the intention of (former) Mayor Osmeña. This does not set a good example because there are other options," he said.

Citing the former mayor's claim that he spent around PHP2 to PHP3 million which came from his friends, Malaya said he can just have the amount reimbursed.

“He doesn't have to strip the office of the mayor bare and again it disrupts the delivery of public service. It's because the mayor is currently holding business in another office," Malaya said.

He said as a general rule, an official may only remove movable furniture and fixtures such as chairs, tables, and computers that are personal property when he ends his term.

“But the act of even removing what are considered immovable objects like ceiling, walls, and the tiles is already bad faith because it renders the office, which is government property, as unusable by his successor and therefore affects the delivery of public service to the people of Cebu City. Under the Civil Code, immovable improvements may only be removed by the owner if it does not cause damage or injury to the work constructed,” Malaya said.

He also suggested that Osmeña should have filed a claim for indemnification for all the immovable improvements that he introduced to the office so that reimbursements should have been made.

Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella defeated Osmeña in the May 13 mid-term elections.

The former mayor had said that he paid for the repair of the office in 2010 with his friends amounting to PHP2 million since the budget had been rejected by Labella, who was the council head back then.

Labella was surprised when he found the mayor’s office “vandalized”, disconnected from the plumbing system and electrical connection, the ceiling and tiles stripped off, and no furniture was left aside from the two industrial air-conditioners and some chairs. (PNA)

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila.