TAGAYTAY CITY — As a measure to curb the rising cases of dengue, the Department of Health regional office in Calabarzon on Sunday launched its mall vaccination post at the Ayala Malls Serin here.
Parents can bring their children for immunization to the Corte Area 1 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon until March this year.
DOH-Calabarzon, in partnership with the Tagaytay City government, intensified the “Knockout Tigdas” drive to immunize children aged 6 months to 5 years old against measles.
Regional Director Dr. Eduardo C. Janairo acknowledged the initiative of the city government in closely coordinating with the DOH regional office for the deployment of its medical team to continue the mass immunization campaign.
“This event will increase measles vaccination coverage and reduce missed opportunities for vaccination by providing more immunization sites for children. Vaccination posts in malls, schools, fast food chains, churches and even bus terminals are necessary so that parents living near these areas can bring their child for immunization,” Janairo said.
He spelled out the reasons some parents refuse, delay, or are hesitant to have their children vaccinated as religious, personal beliefs, safety concerns and a desire for more information from healthcare providers.
“We need everybody’s cooperation and support to reach more susceptible children and successfully prevent the spread of measles and stop its transmission in the community,” he said.
Janairo also said there were children who missed their vaccination date because their parents were not able to bring them to the nearest health center due to their work.
“That is why we need to provide the public with the right information for them to understand fully the importance of vaccines so that they can make responsible immunization decisions for their children,” he said.
DOH-Calabarzon cited that latest figures sourced from the Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU) showed a total of 3,384 measles cases with 83 deaths in the region from January 1 to February 23, this year. Calabarzon covers the provinces of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon.
It noted that the measles cases are 3,835 percent higher compared with the same period last year, when 86 cases and three deaths were recorded.
The regional health office reported that as of Saturday, Rizal province posted the highest number of measles cases at 1,761 with 58 deaths followed by Cavite, 485 cases and eight deaths; Laguna, 477 and nine deaths; Batangas, 359 cases and four deaths; and Quezon, 302 cases and four deaths.
Antipolo City in Rizal province still holds the highest number of measles cases in the region with 720 followed by the City of Biñan in Laguna with 204 cases; municipalities of Rodriguez, Taytay and San Mateo also in Rizal province with 188, 180 and 161, respectively.
In Cavite province, Bacoor City has the highest number of reported measles cases with 115 followed by Imus City with 74; Dasmariñas City with 62; General Trias City, 56; and Silang, 31.
In view of the rising measles incidence, Janairo underscored to local health authorities and parents the importance of vaccination to prevent the spread of contagious, dangerous, and even deadly diseases like measles, polio, mumps and chickenpox.
He appealed to parents whose children have not yet received their immunization against measles to immediately bring them to the nearest vaccination post to keep children safe and protected from the contagious disease. (PNA)