DUTERTE ‘MOST LIKELY’ TO SKIP 33RD EDSA PEOPLE POWER ANNIV
MANILA -- President Rodrigo R. Duterte is “most likely” going to skip the 33rd anniversary of the People Power Revolution of 1986 on February 25, Malacañang said on Wednesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said since the President was also absent in the last two anniversaries, he might again opt to skip it to prioritize work.
“Wala pang nababanggit. Two years nang wala eh, so most likely di rin a-attend yun. (He has not mentioned anything yet. He was absent in the past two events, so most likely, he won’t attend this one),” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
“Maraming trabaho yung Presidente eh (The President has a lot of work to do),” he added.
Panelo, however, said the President still found the event “important” since he still issued statements to recognize its historical significance.
“I remember he issued a statement. So it’s important,” Panelo said, stressing that the President simply wanted to “focus on work.”
Panelo also denied that Duterte’s decision not to attend the anniversary events had anything to do with the Marcos family.
Last year, former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque denied that Duterte attempted to “diminish” the significance of the peaceful revolution, which toppled dictator and former president Ferdinand Marcos. (PNA)
Photo from Philippine Information Agency