• 07/17/2019
  • 12:59 PM
League Online News
Image

FILIPINOS IN MANILA PROTEST AGAINST CHINA



MANILA - Protesters in Manila burned a mock Chinese flag on Friday after a former Filipino top diplomat said he was being held at Hong Kong airport.

Former Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, who accused Chinese President Xi Jinping of crimes against humanity in court, said he was blocked by immigration officers from entering Hong Kong and held in a small airport immigration lounge.

Teresita Deles, a protester and former Secretary of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, said the incident showed China's lack of respect for Filipinos and insisted that del Rosario is not a security risk to Hong Kong.   

Immigration personnel told del Rosario an unspecified "case" was the reason why he was not allowed to enter the territory immediately.

At the time he talked with the Associated Press by cellphone, del Rosario said he had already been held for two hours.

A similar incident happened last May, when former Philippine Supreme Court Justice and top anti-graft prosecutor Conchita Carpio-Morales was also barred for hours from entering Hong Kong.

Del Rosario and Carpio-Morales took the bold step of filing a complaint before the International Criminal Court against Xi and other Chinese officials over Beijing's assertive actions in the disputed South China Sea, which they say deprived thousands of fishermen of their livelihoods and destroyed the environment. (ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila.