• 02/20/2019
  • 03:50 PM
League Online News
Image

NEW YEAR REVELRIES INJURE 6 IN ISABELA, CAGAYAN



TUGUEGARAO CITY -- Six people were injured by firecrackers during the New Year revelries in Cagayan and Isabela provinces, belated police and hospital reports showed on January 3.

In Cagayan, Jaylord Ramos, 28, sustained eye and face injuries after a fountain sparkler exploded while he was trying to light it in Baggao, Cagayan.

“In Abulug town, Erick Jay Bunnao, 7, and Adonis Buquing, 8, were seriously hurt when the improvised bamboo cannon they were using exploded on them,” said Senior Supt. Warren Gaspar Tolito, Cagayan provincial police director.

"The injuries are minimal, so far, if compared to the past year," he added.

In Cabagan town in Isabela, 14-year-old Jaymar Magundayao of Balasig, Cabagan sustained burns on his right hand while lighting a "kwitis" firecracker while Ernesto Suyu, 54, of Anao, Cabagan was hit with a “diamond baby rocket” on his right forearm.

Another firecracker victim Raymundo Balanza, 58, of Barucboc village in Quezon, Isabela sustained burns on his left finger after the whistle bomb he lighted misfired, while Junior Balisi, 27, of Cumabao, Tumauini, was hit on his left arm, sustaining a first-degree burn.

"The reporting of firecracker victims was late in some areas because of the lack of immediate reporting and communication facilities after the New Year revelry," Senior Insp. Frances Littaua, Isabela police spokesperson, told the Philippine News Agency on Thursday.

The victims were brought to public hospitals in their respective towns.

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila