MANILA, Philippines – Over 200 people suffered from alleged food poisoning after attending former First Lady Imelda Marcos’ 90th birthday celebration held at the Ynares Sports Center in Pasig City on Wednesday, July 3.
According to the Pasig command center, patients reportedly experienced dizziness, stomach ache, and vomiting around 11 a.m.
Around 2,500 guests attended the event, said Barangay Oranbo Chairman Richard Pua. They were served packed lunches of chicken adobo with egg and potatoes.
Two caterers served food during the celebration. Most of the ones who felt sick were served by the caterer for the “regular guests.” Another caterer served food for VIP guests.
Aside from the adobo, the caterer also served siopao, spaghetti, and bottled water. All of which are being tested by the Food and Drug Administration.
“FDA will be coming here to pick up the samples [of the breakfast] which is ‘yung itlog at adobo [with egg]. ‘Yun ‘yung suspected namin,” Philippine National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council acting head Bryant Wong said.
The Eastern Police District said victims were rushed to Medical City, Pasig General Hospital, Rizal Medical Center, Polymedic General Hospital, and Tricity Medical Center.
An on-going investigation is being conducted to determine which specific dish or drink caused the suspected poisoning.
According to reports from Super Radyo dzBB, the program continued despite the incident. The concert is currently off-limits to the media.
Photo from Team Marcos PH Twitter page