PALAWAN GUV ALLAYS FEARS ON PROPOSED CREATION OF 3 PROVINCES
Palawan Governor Jose Alvarez (File photo by Provincial Information Office)
PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan -- Palawan Governor Jose Alvarez has allayed fears on the proposed division of Palawan into three provinces and assured provincial government employees of his support.
During Monday’s flag raising ceremony, Alvarez said the welfare of the employees have been considered in the proposal to create Palawan del Sur, Palawan del Norte, and Palawan Oriental.
He said employees, who want to transfer to the new provinces in Roxas, Taytay, and Brooke’s Point, have nothing to worry about because the cost of living in the municipalities is low compared to Puerto Princesa City, where the provincial capitol is located.
“Ang sweldo ninyo ay hindi ‘yan umaangat taun-taon nang malaki [kundi] konti lang. Mababa ang cost of living sa Brooke’s Point, Roxas at Taytay. In other words, marami kayong masi-save (Your salaries do not increase big enough every year… the cost of living in Brooke’s Point, Roxas, and Taytay is low. In other words, you will be able to save),” Alvarez said.
He said employees who opt to transfer can take that option or retire early and set up their own businesses, as he assured he would help the employees.
“Ang may gusto – pwedeng lumipat. Pwede [rin] namang mag-early retirement. Kunin mo ang pera mo at mag-negosyo (Those who want to transfer may do so. Or they could file for early retirement, take the money, and set up businesses),” the governor added.
The proposal to divide Palawan into three new provinces was approved last month under Senate under Bill No. 8055. The Lower House passed it unanimously in August.
Save Palawan Movement (SPM) and One Palawan campaign, which opposes the split, said there was no clamor to divide the province and the proposal had not undergone enough public consultation. (PNA)