• 02/24/2019
  • 07:48 AM
League Online News
Image

PALAWAN RECORDS 2 FIREWORKS INJURIES



USE 'TOROTOT' INSTEAD OF FIRECRACKERS. The Department of Health is urging the use of noise-maker toys and devices this coming New Year such as plastic hornpipes instead of firecrackers that could cause injury. (Photo courtesy of DOH)

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan -- A few days after the regional health department started its campaign against the use of firecrackers in Palawan, the province has recorded its initial two victims of fireworks-related injuries (FWRI) on Cuyo Island.

Palawan Provincial Health Office (PHO) chief Dr. Mary Ann Navarro said Monday the first two victims are both boys, aged 8 and 9, whose hands were injured when a piccolo they were holding exploded.

Piccolo or also “great bawang” is a thin, cylindrical stick filled with gunpowder that is among the prohibited firecrackers under Republic Act 7183.

“Last year, wala tayong kaso ng FWRI pero ngayon nakakalungkot dahil may dalawa na tayo sa Cuyo. Naputukan sila ng piccolo sa kamay (We have no FWRI last year, but sadly now, we have two cases in Cuyo. The children’s hands were hurt by a piccolo that accidentally set off),” she said.

She advised parents to closely watch their children and prevent them from playing with firecrackers, specifically the banned ones.

Although she assured that hospitals are ready to respond to any FWRI, she said it is better if no one would get hurt due to firecracker injury during the holidays.

“Nakahanda ang ating mga ospital, mayroon na tayong anti-tetanus. May mga pantahi na rin sakaling may masugatan at 24/7 naman na may naka-duty. Sana lang huwag naman pabayaan ang mga bata na basta-basta gumamit ng paputok (Our hospitals are ready; they have anti-tetanus. They have needles for sutures in case someone is wounded and there are medical personnel on duty 24/7. We just hope that children will not be allowed to use firecrackers),” she added.

On December 6, the DOH-Center for Health Development launched in Palawan the “OPLAN: Iwas Paputok”, which urged the provinces in the Mimaropa region to pass ordinances that would regulate and control the use of firecrackers for safe New Year celebrations. (With reports from Aira Genesa Magdayao/PNA)

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila