• 02/21/2019
  • 08:39 PM
League Online News
Image

PRRD AGREES MEDICAL BULLETIN NEEDED FOR SERIOUS ILLNESS



MANILA -- President Rodrigo R. Duterte agrees that a yearly medical bulletin should be issued but only when he suffers from a serious illness, Malacañang said on Monday, following calls made by the chief executive’s allies to disclose updates on the status of his health.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made this remark after administration-backed senatorial bets-- former Philippine National Police (PNP) Police Chief Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and former Presidential Adviser Francis Tolentino-- answered “yes” to the question: “Should the President authorize the issuance of medical bulletins about his health?” in a televised senatorial forum on Sunday.

Panelo said the President himself agreed that a medical bulletin should be issued but only in case of serious or life-threatening illness.

“The question was whether or not the President should issue a medical bulletin in case of serious illness. The President agrees with that,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

“That is why he informs us of what happened to the medical examination. I don’t think there is a question on that,” he added.

Panelo, however, said if the President does not suffer from any serious illness, there would not be a need to issue yearly medical bulletins.

“Hindi naman—ano lang iyon eh (It’s not necessary-he already undergoes) regular examination,” Panelo said.

Duterte repeatedly denied that he suffers from any life-threatening illness amid rumors that he has serious health problems, following his absence in few meetings of 33rd ASEAN Related Summits last month.

The 73-year-old President, however, admitted that he suffers from migraines and that his Barrett’s esophagus was “badly eroded” due to alcohol intake. (PNA)

Photo from EPA/The National

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila