• 07/19/2019
  • 03:09 AM
League Online News
Image

TROOPS SEIZE FIREARMS FROM ABANDONED NPA LAIR IN CENTRAL NEGROS



NPA ENCOUNTER. Lt. Col. Egberto Dacoscos, commanding officer of 62nd Infantry Battalion, says the encounter between the military and New People's Army rebels took place after the troops received information from concerned citizens. Seized from the rebel's lair were high-powered firearms. (File photo from 303rd Infantry Brigade, Philippine Army)

BACOLOD CITY -- Philippine Army soldiers seized high-powered firearms in a central Negros hideout abandoned by the New People’s Army (NPA) during an encounter on Sunday.

A report of the 3rd Infantry Division (3ID) said joint units of the 62nd Infantry Battalion from Negros Occidental and 94th Infantry Battalion (IB) from Negros Oriental engaged at least 20 communist fighters at around 6:50 a.m. at Sitio Mansuluway, Barangay Cabcaban in Bindoy town.

Lt. Col. Egberto Dacoscos, commanding officer of 62IB, on Sunday said that after the five-minute firefight, the troops found the NPA lair and recovered two M16 rifles and an M4 rifle.

The rebels also left behind a sack of rice, medical kits, cooking utensils, jungle hammocks, personal items, and subversive documents.

Dacoscos said the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) and its political wing, the National Democratic Front (NDF), are being demoralized as the masses they had been deceiving have awakened from their abuses.

The encounter took place after the troops received information from concerned citizens, he added.

Dacoscos said the series of encounters and discoveries of the rebel hideouts and recoveries of firearms and anti-personnel mines show that the people can no longer be deceived.

Maj. Gen. Dinoh Dolina, commander of 3ID based in Jamindan, Capiz, on Monday renewed his call on Negrenses to remain vigilant and continue supporting and cooperating with the government troops.

“Report the presence and activities of the CPP-NPA terrorists in your area,” he added.

Capt. Eduardo Precioso Jr., spokesperson of 3ID, said the troops are still conducting operations to ensure the security and safety of civilians and to run after the fleeing rebels.

“We will continue to pressure the enemy,” he said.

The CPP-NPA is listed as a terrorist organization by the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Philippines. (PNA)

 

Get the latest local government news daily from the most trusted sources. Be on the loop with current events happening in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and Metro Manila.