WATER SUPPLY CRISIS WILL BE RESOLVED AT MWSS-LEVEL
The Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) has assured President Rodrigo Duterte that the water supply crisis which affected over a million of households in parts of Metro Manila will be resolved at the agency-level.
“MWSS understood very well the instructions of the President. We will comply. I assured the president, through the Secretary, we assured him that this problem can be settled at the MWSS level,” MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco told reporters in a press briefing in Quezon City.
Earlier, Malacañang on Friday ordered the agency demanding Manila Water Co. Inc. and Maynilad Water Services, Inc. to release more water from Angat Dam “good for 150 days.”
The MWSS has vowed to resolve the water crisis within the period.
“We will comply to the marching orders of President Rodrigo R. Duterte to solve the water shortage in 150 days and the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) together with its concessionaires – Manila Water, Maynilad and Bulacan Bulk Water will do its best to meet his expectations,” Velasco had said in a statement over the weekend.
“We perfectly understand the presidential order to immediately resolve the problem to ease the burden of the consuming public,” he added.
Maynilad has pledged to share 50 MLD to Manila Water through cross border flow that would initially provide 20 MLD to Manila Water this month and full 50 MLD by April. It would also give another 10 MLD from the La Mesa Portal.
Five more points of cross boarder transfers need minor pipe works, said Maynilad President and Chief Executive Officer Ramoncito Fernandez.
Last week, Manila Water has energized its Cardona treatment plant in Rizal province that is delivering 24 MLD and will be fully operational with 50 MLD by the end of the month.
Meanwhile, San Miguel Corp.’s Bulacan Bulk Water also pledged to provide potable water through deliveries of trucks to affected communities using its untapped 140 MLD in coordination with the MWSS and local government units.
At present, 11 barangays are left without water, down from 56 last week, according to Manila Water President Ferdinand dela Cruz said.
Although the Ayala-held company is “far ahead” of its target to restore 99 percent availability before end-March, dela Cruz said: “We are working very hard to achieve this.”